“At church functions, folks line up for this trifle. And it is so easy to make!”
This stunning chocolate and Nutella trifle is the perfect quick and easy Christmas dessert! It can feed a crowd, be made ahead of time and requires almost zero effort.
Today is my blog’s sixth birthday! And I only realized it this morning which made me feel pretty awful – I usually plan a big cake or festive dessert to celebrate the occasion.
By the time the realization dawned, it was far too late to bake something from scratch. But fear not… it’s (cheat’s) chocolate trifle to the rescue!
This spectacular chocolate pudding is a perfect last-minute dessert if you cunningly employ a few shortcuts. It requires zero cooking and zero baking making it just the thing for novice cooks – or even those who can’t boil an egg!
Although this chocolate trifle is perfect for Christmas, it is also suitable for any large celebration or kid birthday party as it feeds up to 10 people easily. Plus you could have the kids decorate the final layer if you like.
WHAT IS A TRIFLE?
I must admit the first time I heard of trifle was probably through that famous Friends episode in which Rachel attempts to make a ‘Traditional English Trifle’ from scratch.
As you may recall she accidentally combines the trifle recipe with the one for Shepherd’s Pie making a dessert that “tastes like feet!” (even though Joey didn’t seem to mind).
A proper trifle is a layered dessert made of cake or ladyfingers soaked in sherry, vanilla custard, fruit and lashings of whipped cream. Sometimes there’s jelly involved too! The layers are repeated if the trifle dish is really deep.
Hmm. It looks like these ingredients aren’t on sale today.
- 1 (19.8 ounce) package brownie mix
- 1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (1.5 ounce) bar chocolate candy
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions and cool completely. Cut into 1 inch squares.
- In a large bowl, combine pudding mix, water and sweetened condensed milk. Mix until smooth, then fold in 8 ounces whipped topping until no streaks remain.
- In a trifle bowl or glass serving dish, place half of the brownies, half of the pudding mixture and half of the 12 ounce container of whipped topping. Repeat layers. Shave chocolate onto top layer for garnish. Refrigerate 8 hours before serving.